10 Reasons why you should see a gyne after your 40
2. You can get a pap smear done which is most important tool for prevention and early detection of cervical cancer.
3. You can discuss your contraception choices because this may be the correct time to change over from pills to intrauterine devices.
4. It is appropriate to start taking calcium supplements after age of 40. We can address issues regarding bone health, e.g. bone density screening.
5. We can discuss need for breast screening and correct technique for breast self examination.
6. It is not uncommon for women to have urinary leak issues, especially leaking after a cough. This can be an embarrassing and troublesome and many women do not talk about it openly or seek help for it. This important problem can be addressed and easily managed medically.
7. Sexual problems such as lack of interest, lack of lubrication, pain, and dryness can be addressed.
8. After 40, it is quite common to have changes in menstrual cycle. It is also common to have heavy irregular periods. This is actually one of the most important reasons why women see a gynecologist. I am a specialist in the management of the bleeding issues after 40. In present times there is a myriad of choices available for safe, scientific and effective treatment of heavy periods without having to remove the uterus.
9. Prolapse i.e. a feeling of sometime dragging downwards from the vagina/ shift in the normal position of the uterus is common especially in women who have had multiple childbirths. This can be a very nagging issue and we can give you solutions to this problem that is appropriate to your age and degree of prolapse.
10. Menopause is also round the corner and many women experience a myriad of symptoms in the peri-menopausal phase. We can discuss on how you can be best prepared for this major turn in your life.