Abortion 7 to 12 weeks
Sometimes a woman may go beyond 7 weeks and then decide to terminate the pregnancy. In India it is not permitted to take tablets (mifepristone and misoprostal) once you have crossed 7 weeks. Pregnancies between 7 to 12 weeks are terminated by a procedure called dilatation and suction evacuation. It is commonly referred to as D&C in India.
Dilatation and suction evacuation is a surgical procedure. It has to be done in a nursing home or a hospital that is licensed for the purpose.
The procedure for a D&C is as follows:
1. Gynecological Consultation with the doctor to confirm pregnancy
2. You will decide regarding continuation or termination.
3. Consent forms have to be signed for the process of termination
4. As it is a surgical procedure; you will need some blood tests and urine test.
5. A sonography of the pelvis is usually done to confirm the location and the size of pregnancy.
6. We then fix the date and time for the procedure at a hospital or nursing home (abortion center) as per your choice. It can be done on the same day of your visit for consultation.
7. As it is surgical procedure you will need to be fasting for at least 4 to 6 hours prior to the procedure.
8. Once you are admitted, the regular pre-op preparations will be done and then you are taken to the operation theater and given an anesthetic. We do the procedure under a general anesthetic where you are put to sleep during the procedure so that you do not experience any pain at all during the procedure.
9. Once under anesthesia the dilatation and suction evacuation is done. The cervix is dilated and then suction evacuation is done to remove the products of conception. The D&C takes only about 10 to 15 minutes. Once the uterus is empty and there is no bleeding the procedure is considered complete.
10. You will be given a mild painkiller and some antibiotics in the theater to avoid post procedure pain and infection.
11. You will be conscious when you are brought out of theater, but you may be drowsy for a few hours.
12. You are then shifted from the theater and moved to your bed.
13. You will need to rest in the hospital for a few hours.
14. When you are up and awake, we will help you to eat and drink something. We also encourage you to pass urine, and walk around so that you are not drowsy or giddy.
15. Once you are comfortable and confident that you are ok you are allowed to go home. This is usually possible on the same day.
16. Once you are home you can then continue all routine activities.
17. After the procedure you may have mild bleeding for a few days like a period and you will see the next period in about 4 to 5 weeks.
18. The procedure is usually safe. Nevertheless an occasional patient can have some problems. It is advisable to report in case you have fever, prolonged irregular bleeding and /or foul smelling discharge. This is extremely rare but can be easily managed.
19. It is prudent to now consider contraception and have a detailed discussion with the doctor. We can discuss the whole basket of choices and help you to choose a method that best suits your needs.
20. Please note that we do not do sex determination, sex selective abortions and illegal abortions.